WEKU is seeking a News Director to lead a team of six staffers covering issues critical to Central and Eastern KY. WEKU serves Lexington as well as more than half of the state of Kentucky with nine broadcast transmitters and digital platforms. Our goal is to be the primary news source for Central and Eastern Kentucky. WEKU is a strong public radio service with visionary leadership and a positive and affirmation station culture that values diversity, achievement and buy-in for public radio’s mission. The News Director will be a key part of WEKU’s leadership team.
The successful candidate will have a background that includes reporting, newscast producing and on-air newscasting/hosting. Three years of journalism experience is required. Previous supervisory and leadership experience helpful but not required. Solid editing skills and editorial judgement required, as is the organizational ability to anticipate and manage workflow, coordinate staff reporters. Hosting an on-air shift/announcer recording will also be part of this key position.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- History of initiative reporting on a wide range of topics
- Superior writing and communication skills
- Efficient production capabilities
- A good working knowledge of Central and Eastern Kentucky the surrounding area preferred
- A strong understanding of public radio’s mission
- On-air experience helpful
- Ability to embrace and appreciate a culture of continuous improvement and achievement
Salary commensurate with experience. This is a Full-Time, exempt position. Benefits include full medical, dental, and university retirement as well as university tuition remission.
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : Bachelors Degree
Experience Level : Mid to Senior Level
Job Function : On-Air/Technical